Training Aspects Nutrition: a healthier choice, Fruity Greek Yogurt Popsicles
It was a super sad day for me when I learned from my personal trainer, Kirill vaks, that my favorite popsicles (that advertised themselves as being healthy) were comprised of sugar. I had a half a box left, and I had to throw them out! I was not happy with my personal trainer, It broke my heart. However, I have found an alternative way to satisfy my sweet tooth AND be healthy! These popsicles are made of only greek yogurt, fresh fruit, and a little bit of honey.
Now, I know you’re thinking, “well I just don’t have the money to spend on the ingredients I need to make these.”, so, for you skeptical folks out there I did a little breakdown of the costs of these healthy popsicles vs. the store bought sugar filled variety.
Store bought locally in Voorhees, popsicles: $4.99 for a box of 6 popsicles ($.83/popsicle)
Natural Ingredient popsicles Price breakdown In Voorhees:
- Chobani greek yogurt $2.50 (used 1/2 a container, $1.25)
- Honey $3.99 (used 2oz of a 12oz container, $.66)
- Raspberries $3.99 (used 1/2 container, $2.00)
- Strawberries $3.50 (used 1/2 container, $1.75)
That comes to be $5.66 for 8 popsicles or $.70 per popsicle, AND you’ll have yogurt, fruit and honey left over to make yourself something yummy for breakfast!!
- 1 cup pitted cherries or 1/2 cup strawberries (or other fruit of your choice,
I used raspberries and strawberries and used about a cup combined)
- 1 cup of non-fat greek yogurt
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
Instructions Healthier choice popsicle:
- In a small food processor or blender, puree the fruit for 30 seconds to 1 minute (do not blend for too long or the puree will become too watery.)
- In a measuring cup or bowl with pouring spout, stir together the yogurt and honey. Fold in about 2 tablespoons of the fruit puree. Taste and add more honey or fruit puree as desired (but lighter on the honey, personal trainer’s orders).
- Pour fruit and yogurt mixture into popsicle molds, filling about 3/4 of the way. Add popsicle sticks and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- To remove: run warm water of the bottom of the popsicle mold and gently twist and pull out the popsicle.
Recipe created and article written by:
Shannon Benedetto ACSM-cpt
Take action… Now!
Training Aspects’ personal trainers and sports performance coaches want you to accomplish your goals. You, as the personal training client, are a reflection of our personal training and group training methods! We are here to help you accomplish all of your personal training goals! Our main training focus are people looking to increase performance, lose weight , lose body fat and increase lean muscle. Whether you live in Cherry Hill, Haddonfield,Marlton, or any of the other surrounding areas we are here to help you Move, Look and feel as you’ve always desired…
910 Haddonfield-Berlin rd.
Voorhees, Nj 08043